VTT, CEA Liten, Varta (Finland, France, Germany)
The demonstrator is a wearable wrist band. The wrist band has two sensing modules around the wrist and a central module for data processing, wireless data communication and user interaction by visual means. The sensing modules contain heart rate and oxygen saturation PPG sensors and accelerometers. The structural electronics demonstrator fabrication is based on printed TPU substrate and elastomer over moulding. The demonstrator targets sports and wellbeing market.
The wrist band is based on a stretchable thermoformable polyurethane (TPU) substrate with screen-printed silver conductor tracks that is used as the flexible circuit board. Rigid FR4-based sensing and central modules are assembled onto the flexible board and the resulting rigid-flex system is over molded into a plastic to implement a wearable wrist band.
Attractiveness of the Product
- Light and comfortable to wear.
- Provides both immediate visual feedback and data via wireless interface for later analysis.
- Crystal decoration makes the product visually appealing and gives better user experience e.g., illuminating exercise intensity by different colours.
- Helps users to enhance their fitness level and wellbeing.
- Stretchability also improves the skin contact of the sensors.
Printed Electronics Components
- Printed conductive path
- Printed interconnection
- Printed stretchable circuit board