OE-A Photo Contest 2023 – Online Gallery
The first OE-A Photo Contest “Picture the Possibilities” presents us with photos that show different perspectives of Printed Electronics. Have a look at all amazing photos ! To get some backround information about the photos shown, please read the description below every category (photos in alphabetical order by company name).
Thank you for voting!
And the winners of the OE-A Photo Contest 2023 are:
Winner Category Product: Holst Centre, NL —— Winner Category Technology: FlexEnable, UK —— Winner Category Material: Saralon, DE
1. Products: Prototypes, Applications, Devices, Demonstrators
- Multi-Layer Copper Circuit Board – Copprint: In corporation with C2MI and ETS, Canada, multi layer copper printed circuit board on PI with soldered components.
- Printed Copper Traces on Aluminum + LEDs – Copprint: In cooperation with IPS LET, projector printed using copper inks on Aluminum substrate by IPS Korea. Components are soldered using SAC305 to the printed copper traces.
- CO2 Sensor – Dracula Technologies: Portable self-power carbon dioxide (CO2) sensor using non-dispersive infrared (NDIR) technology, Sensor-SP measures the CO2 levels at configurable intervals. Values are displayed on a 7-segment bar graph on an electrochromic e-paper display and transmitted to an Android application using the Bluetooth low energy (BLE) communication protocol.
- Remote Control – Dracula Technologies: Organic photovoltaic technologies are able to power a remote control in complete autonomy: used in the middle of the day or at night, they will always be as efficient. By being 100% autonomous and with a lifespan of about ten years, no need to replace batteries.
- Temperature Logger – Dracula Technologies: This advanced temperature logger collects data during transportation and storage of agricultural products, frozen foods, and pharmaceutical products. These portable measurement instruments operate autonomously and reliably, recording temperature at regular intervals.
- Breast Patch – Electronic Care Patch – Enfucell: Electronic symptom-relief patch (non-sterile) that features a proprietary power supply chip. Upon application to the skin, it generates a micro current that can facilitate the repair of the micro-circulation system in the body and provide relief from pain and other related symptoms.
- E-Skin Deep-Dive on Facial Mask Type – Enfucell: The high conductive mask cloth incorporates two integrated 1.5V paper batteries to generate a power source. Upon immersion in the essence, the cloth triggers an immediate micro-current when it comes in contact with the face. The micro-current rapidly opens pores and sweat holes, resulting in enhanced absorption of the essence. It also stimulates bio-electricity to repair the epidermal cells, inhibit growth of bacteria, and promote an effective epidermal repair.
- 16.9” FHD Flexible Printed OLED TV – Guangdong Juhua Printing: Innovative Flexible Printed OLED TV Technology Development was granted by Guangzhou city government in China. The main development items are (1) Top Emission Device Architecture with High Efficiency and Long Life Time (2) MURA Free Ink Jet Printing Technology with High Resolution(4K) (3) Advanced Thin Film Encapsulation Technology with High Reliability and Flexibility (4) Innovative Mechanical Release Technology for Low Cost and High Productivity.
- 31” 4K Flexible Printed OLED TV – Guangdong Juhua Printing: Innovative Flexible Printed OLED TV Technology Development was granted by Guangzhou city government in China. The main development items are (1) Top Emission Device Architecture with High Efficiency and Long Life Time (2) MURA Free Ink Jet Printing Technology with High Resolution(4K) (3) Advanced Thin Film Encapsulation Technology with High Reliability and Flexibility (4) Innovative Mechanical Release Technology for Low Cost and High Productivity.
- Functionalized Earmold, perspectives of Printed Electronics – Hahn Schickard: Functionalized earmold which consists of silver on additively manufactured plastic. Produced by the following technologes: Aerosol Jet, ICA, SMD-sensor
- HeliaSol Installation In Port of Barcelona, Spain – Heliatek: In the port of Barcelona, the curved roofs of fishing buildings are covered with HeliaSol solar films. The lightweight and flexible solar films are perfect for the old, corrugated bitumen roofs and generate sustainable solar power for the pier.
- Sensor INKxperience Kit – Henkel: – The Sensor INKxperience Kit was supported from start to finish by our ecosystem partners, LAIIER® and Quad Industries. With our partner’s feedback, we created a kit that offers a hands-on entry point to printed electronics.
- Multimodal Sensor Mat – Holst Centre: Holst Centre creates adaptable, multisensory surfaces that can easily be integrated into everyday objects and electronic applications that enhance healthcare and human-machine interaction.These surfaces incorporate sensors that emulate the basic sense of touch; for example by the sensing of temperature and pressure.
- Bridges and Sensors_Pressure Sensing Arrays – InnovationLab: A roll of the pressure sensing arrays used in our BaMoS (Battery Monitoring System) product. These arrays allow monitoring pressure distributions inside batteries of e.g electric vehicles during charging and discharging cycles, to increase their lifetime.
- Roll of Pressure Sensing Arrays_BaMoS – InnovationLab: Two printed pressure sensors taken from a pressure sensing array, printed on a plastic foil, the black lines are conductive, the blue patches are insulating, this line arrangement allows to addressing the sensors in parallel.
- Segmented Automotive Lighting Demonstrator – OLED Works: Segmented OLED lighting demonstrator first shown at CES 2023. This device was created to showcase the capabilities of OLEDWorks’ OLED lighting technology for automotive applications, including high brightness, high-contrast
segmentation, and dynamic animation and communication capabilities.
- Capacitive Position Sensor – Quad Industries: A cutting-edge image reveals a bendable capacitive sensor ingeniously crafted with conductive inks on a PET film. This innovation serves as a precision position detector for metal components, showcasing the seamless integration of flexibility and functionality.
- Capacitive Touch Sensor – Quad Industries: Captured within this image is a groundbreaking flexible capacitive sensor, skillfully engineered using a fusion of transparent and non-transparent conductive inks artfully layered on a PET film. This ingenious design finds its purpose as a sensitive touch detector, seamlessly interpreting human finger interactions. The sensor’s unique blend of materials opens new vistas for intuitive touch-based applications.
- Liquid Level Sensor – Quad Industries: Evident in the image is a versatile capacitive sensor, ingeniously crafted using conductive inks upon a PET film, poised to revolutionize liquid level detection. With a keen focus on non-contact precision, this sensor stands ready to effortlessly monitor and gauge liquid levels within cylindrical tanks, showcasing an innovative leap in industrial sensing technology.
- Paper Electrochromic Flowers – Rise: Screen printed functional inks aligned and printed in separate layers were printed on flexible and transparent paper substrates in order to create a functional touch sensor (controller not shown).
- Paper Capacitive Touch Sensor – Rise: Complex All-printed electrochromic flower displays using 9 aligned layers of inks to produce the desired product. The displays can function as a passive matrix with the petals of the flowers being switched individually or as one large display with all switching together.
- Electrochromic Display with NFC Antenna (Tamper-evidence label) – Saralon: NFC-enabled smartphones trigger information on the Electrochromic display and open specific links on their displays to verify/authenticate shown information (e.g., code, serial number, etc.). No app required. Combining SaralElectrochromic Display technology powered by NFC. The combination of printed electronics with NFC technology can substantially add functionalities and lower the cost of products.
- Flexible Printed Battery – Saralon: SaralBattery ZincMnO2 flexible. The battery is printed on a blister foil and is very flexible. Standard 6 volts printed Zinc-ZnCl2-MnO2 batteries with four unit cells are connected in series. They can be easily connected to external circuits by using SaralConductive adhesives.
- Temperature Logger – Saralon: Integrated printed temperature & humidity sensor in combination with NFC.
- Semi-Transparent Signage – MicroLED Integrated in Foil and Glass-Laminated – TracXon: Ultra-fine circuitry along with graphics printed on a polymer foil. Subsequently, microLEDs were assembled on to the foil, which was then laminated on glass. This semi-transparent signage opens up new application possibilities in glass-integrated displays and signages.
- Large-Area Hybrid Printed Electronics + Roll-to-Roll Printed and Assembled LED Foil – Tracxon: A roll-to-roll printed circuitry on a flexible polymer foil. After R2R printing, large-area assembly techniques were used to assemble high-brightness smart LEDs on to the printed structures. The application is large-area signage and decorative lighting. Demonstrating advantages offered by Printed Electronics: large-area distributed functionality, flexibility, conformal form factor and design freedom.
- Skin Friendly Smart Health Patch – Witte Technology: This smart, skin-friendly sensor patch is used to detect various needs in the healthcare industry. The patch is made up of a sensor that is fully stretchable, adhesive and from non-woven material. It can be easily attached to the skin and removed without causing any skin-related issues while providing the necessary data for analysis.
2. Technology: Technology, Processes, Production Equipment
- CeraPrinter Hybrid Digital Materials Deposition Platform – Ceradrop: Key solution for industrial multi-field applications. Latest technologies enabling multitude of operations. Modular scalable technology for quick & easy upgrade. User-friendly single interface for all integrated technologies. From R&D to 24/7 large scale manufacturing equipment range.
- Circuit Boards Bending Test – Copprint: Bending tests of multi-layerd circuit boards printed with copper ink and components are attached using standard soldering.
- CeraPrinter – Dracula Technologies: The CeraPrinter can print photovoltaic modules using inkjet technology.
- Inkjet Printing – Dracula Technologies: Inkjet printing is a technique that allows to print organic photovoltaic cells.
- Free Shape – Dracula Technologies: Printing of any shape, design, always as flexible and efficient.
- Biaxially Curved AR Ambient Dimming Film – Flexenable: This is an ultra-thin ambient dimming film for AR, smart glasses and other headwear. Based on flexible liquid crystal optics, it enables virtual objects to be clearly visible and appear solid even as external lighting conditions change. At around 0.1mm thick, the pixelated dimmer function can be added with almost no thickness and weight addition to headsets. The film can even be 3D formed to follow to contours of other fixed optical components.
- Production of HeliaSol – Heliatek: Heliatek’s solar films are produced in a roll-to-roll process that is unique in the world. The rolls are processed with a width of up to 1.3 m and a length of over 2 km.
- Organ on a Chip (OoC) Technology – Holst Centre: By integrating electronics with organ-on-chip-related technologies the development of new medicines, such as those for neurodegenerative and cardiovascular diseases, can be accelerated. Organ on chip (OoC) technology holds promise to reduce animal testing and establish more efficient drug-discovery processes.
- High Aspect Ratio Silver Bump – Hummink: A high aspect ratio silver bump (20:1) deposited by a “High Precision Capillary Printing Technology” developed by Hummink.
- Silver Pillars for Packaging Applications – Hummink: Silver pillars printed by a “High Precision Capillary Printing Technology” developed by Hummink for packaging applications.
- Screen Printing Machine (ATMA) with RISE Sensor Kit Print – Rise: Robotic arm of the ATMA screen printer with a finished print of the RISE Sensor Kit on plastic substrate. In operation this automatic robotic arm would engage its vacuum to lift up the sheet after printing and curing and place it for the operator.
- Saral PressureSensor 200 – Saralon: Piezoresistive pressure sensor ink, resistance decreases by increasing pressure, suitable for low-cost applications. Screen printable/ solvent based/ thermally dried.
- Saral HumiditySensor 400 – Saralon: Fast drying humidity sensitive ink, resistance increases with humidity, suitable for low-cost applications. Screen printable / solvent based / thermally dried.
- Saral Heating 100 – Saralon: Carbon based heating element ink, used in combination with Saral Silver 700. Suitable for a maximum heating temperature of 100°C. Screen printable / solvent based / thermally dried.
- Large-Area Hybrid Printed Electronics + Roll-to-Roll Printed and Roll-to-Roll Assembled MicroLED Foil – Tracxon: Roll-to-roll printed ultra-fine circuitry along with graphics on a flexible polymer foil, followed by large-area assembly of microLEDs on to the circuitry. This is probably the first demonstration world-wide of R2R microLED assembly on foil in large numbers.
- Fully Automated Foil Printing Machine under Clean Room Conditions – Witte Technology: The fully automated sheet to sheet advanced printing machine under clean room conditions allows to work any time of the year and provide the same print quality and standards. With cutting-edge drying technology (hot air, IR and UV) over long distances demanding parameters like drying time while maintaining tight production speeds are managable. Printing and dryer combination can be used with any low temperature ink available in the market.
- Robotic Material Handling System – Witte Technology: The use of the camera alignment system and cleaner robotic arms ensures that the print accuracy of different layers on top of each other is maintained to the highest standards. The sheet can also be adjusted according to tolerances and maintained with good accuracy between printing layers. Combined with an ESD sprayer, the system can pick up the cleanest foil and reduce static load during the process. Here: example of sheet being transported and aligned during the printing process.
- Robotic Vacuum Gripper for Different Material Handling – Witte Technology: Innovative, fully automated material transport system processes a wide variety of flexible and rigid printing substrates (e.g., PET, PEN, TPU, PI, Kapton, PC and many more) with material thicknesses from 50 μm to 3 mm free of micro-scratches. The gripper’s vacuum can be modified based on the material’s properties. Here is a 50 μm sheet is being handled by the gripper.
3. Material: Functional Materials, Substrate Materials
- Glass Fiber Composite Damage Detection System – Innovation Lab: Smart glass fiber composite material containing a R2R-printed damage detection system. The printed conductive lines which is embedded in the composite allow detecting damage to the material with spatial resolution in both X and Y directions over large dimensions, covering for example the full inner surface area of a refrigerated truck trailer. A smart glass fiber composite material containing a R2R-printed damage detection system. The printed conductive lines which is embedded in the composite allow detecting damage to the material with spatial resolution in both X and Y directions over large dimensions, covering for example the full inner surface area of a refrigerated truck trailer.
- Phase transition of a Ferronematic Liquid Crystal – Merck Electronics: Optical polarizing microscopy photo of the Isotropic to Nematic phase transition of a liquid crystal which exhibits polar and ferroelectric Nematic phases.
- Thermoformed Saral Copper 100B on Poly-Carbonate – Saralon: Low cost, air-curable copper particle-based ink with a low sheet resistance (~10 mΩ /sq/25 μm). Suitable for paper and plastic substrates. Screen printable/ water-based/ thermally dried/cured (110°C, 5-10 minutes).
- Saral StretchSilver 800 on TPU – Saralon: Silver based conducting glue for fixing SMD components or PCB on paper/plastic, Low temperature curing (110°C), two components ink, suitable for paper, plastic and glass. Screen printable / solvent based / thermally cured.
- SMD components attached using Saral SilverGlue Alpha 600 on printed Saral Copper 100B – Saralon: Stretchable silver ink for stretchable electrical connections. Specially designed for bending applications such as TPU or bendable plastics with a good sheet resistance (30 mΩ/sq/25 μm). Screen printable / solvent based/ thermally dried.